Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Roasted Root and Bacon Salad


If you ever get a chance to go to Cairns Australia, I highly suggest going to a little place called FUSION ORGANICS.  It's a stylish little cafe that specializes in serving people with food allergies. Them menu is color coded with little hearts, so that you can easily pick out the foods that are safe for you. When I walked in, I was struck by the wide variety of gluten free baked goods available. It was awesome.  I wanted to order one of everything, but since things tend to be on the expensive side, I settled for two dishes.

The first dish I ordered was called "Roasted Root and Bacon Salad." It was absolutely delicious!  I dissected it and think I know how to recreate it when I get home. 

INGREDIENTS
  • Leafy Greens
  • Roasted Red Peppers
  • Roasted Onions
  • Roasted Sweet Potato Chunks
  • Roasted Zucchini 
  • Crisp Bacon Pieces 
  • Honey mustard dressing


It looked as if all the vegetables had been cooked before hand, and then either roasted or stir
 fried before mixing together with the bacon and fresh leafy greens (Kale and Wild Lettuce), and tossed with honey mustard dressing.  This salad is awesome! You've got to try and make this one:)

For desert I ordered a slice of Pumpkin Pie Cheese Cake.  Even though it was gluten free, the pie crust was amazing. It was moist and crumbly, just the way I like it.  Today I plan on going back and testing more of their fare.  I'll dissect what I eat again so that I can make it back home.

Tonight my friends and I are heading from Cairns to a little beach campground just north of here.  We plan on gathering wood, having a bonfire on the beach, setting up tents and camping on the sand.  Sleeping to the sounds of crashing waves is amazing!  The next morning we'll be heading north to Port Douglass and a place called Mossman to explore the Daintree National Park.  I'll document what GF goodies I find up there!  I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment